179 total views, 3 views today
Latest Current Affairs:06 June 2017
Bhilai Steel Plant:
• The Steel Authority of India Ltd.’s Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP) has added a Universal Rail Mill (URM) as part of its effort to scale up capac- ity at BSP to 7 million tonnes of crude steel per annum.
Service Delivery Centre:
• Rolls-Royce announced the opening of its Defence Service Delivery Centre (SDC) in Bengaluru aimed at offering localised engi- neering support to improve frontline capabili- ty of Indian armed forces and HAL. The SDC, which is the company’s first delivery centre in Asia, is co-located with the Rolls-Royce Engineering Centre.
Brigade Hospitality Services
• Brigade Hospitality Services Ltd., (BHSL) a subsidiary of real estate developer Brigade Group, announced to set up World Trade Centre in Chennai and invest up to Rs.700 crore for developing five properties into hotels in Karnataka, Kerala and Gujarat.
Thermal Power Project:
• Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited has bagged its largest ever export order, valued at Rs.10,000 crore for setting up a thermal power project in Bangladesh. The order has been secured from Bangladesh India Friendship Power Company (Pvt) Limited (BIFPCL), a 50 : 50 joint venture of NTPC and Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB).
• Google has unveiled a new set of products and features for Indian languages to better serve the needs of Indians who were coming online rapidly. Google Translate will use a new ‘neural machine translation technology’ to translate between English and nine widely- used Indian languages, including Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Telugu, Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Marathi and Gujarati.
• IT services major Infosys announced it was strengthening its engineering footprint in Eastern Europe by opening its first delivery centre (DC) in Karlovac, Croatia. The new facility will meet near-shoring requirements, support engineering clients worldwide as well as offer R&D services.
• Cyrus Poonawala-led Serum Institute of India (SII), the world’s largest vaccine manufactur- er by number of doses produced and sold globally, has acquired the Czech Republic- based bio-pharmaceutical development and manufacturing firm Nano therapeutics for ’72 million. This makes SII the largest injectable polio vaccine manufacturer in the world.
Global quality centre:
• Hyundai Motor India inaugurated its global quality centre in India. The India Quality Centre in Faridabad, which is the fifth such centre for Hyundai globally after U.S., Europe, China and the Middle East, was built at an investment of about Rs.30 crore.
Tier II towns:
• Google India is taking a version of its Launchpad Accelerator program to Tier II towns in India through the solve for India pro- gram. The program was kicked off in Pune with a set of local entrepreneurs and will be taken to ten more cities over the course of the year.